W3C's 'Moral Majesty'

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Sun Sep 12 20:40:04 BST 1999

Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> This seems to be turning into "why T.B-L is bad for the WWW"
> which is completely against the point I was trying to put forward:
> personally, I think the idea of someone (or body) at the top whose
> primary job is to unblock logjams is good (indeed, my countries
> political constitution is based on this, very successfully).

The idea in ours is that in a deadlock vote, one man or woman,
can break a tie.  Otherwise, the executive branch can propose
and lobby for legislation and acts as top cop.   It cannot
thwart majority rule.  The person of the Tim-BL is not relevant
except insofar as it preserves the role of one person who
can thwart majority rule.  This is not a good role to assume
regardless of who assumes it.  So, this is not a "Tim is bad"
but a "Tim can change his mind about his decisions with regards to
his role".  That is a fair thing to ask.

Look at the role of Washington in the US.  When the time came to
pass the office of the presidency, it was done without
force.  It was considered a marvel at the time and a credit
to his capacity as a leader.  That is moral majesty.

> In other words, the criticisms of W3C closed procedures etc
> are the natural result of the pretense of standards-making.

Yes.

len

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)