W3C's 'Moral Majesty'

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Mon Sep 13 02:40:31 BST 1999

[offline]

Len Bullard writes:

 > Rick Jelliffe wrote:
 >
 > > This seems to be turning into "why T.B-L is bad for the WWW"
 > > which is completely against the point I was trying to put forward:
 > > personally, I think the idea of someone (or body) at the top whose
 > > primary job is to unblock logjams is good (indeed, my countries
 > > political constitution is based on this, very successfully).
 >
 > The idea in ours is that in a deadlock vote, one man or woman,
 > can break a tie.  Otherwise, the executive branch can propose
 > and lobby for legislation and acts as top cop.   It cannot
 > thwart majority rule.

I don't know a lot about the U.S. constitution, but as I understood
it, it takes a two-thirds majority to override a presidential veto,
not 50% + 1.

The problem in the W3C is that even a 100% majority cannot override a
directorial veto; the benefit is that it's relatively easy for the
members to vote with their feet.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com