Sybase and XML?

DuCharme, Robert DuCharmR at moodys.com
Mon Sep 13 17:35:51 BST 1999

Have any Sybase users read the PDF whitepapers about the new Adaptive
Server's XML capabilities? The longer one is called "Using XML with the
Sybase Adaptive Server SQL Databases" and the shorter one is "Increasing
Developer Productivity with Java and XML in Sybase Adaptive Server
Enterprise." (I don't have a URL, because they were passed to me at work,
but they're probably at www.sybase.com somewhere.)

It looks to me like the majority of their XML "support" is the fact that ASE
is tightly integrated with Java and Java goes well with XML. Sybase provide
you with a few classes to inherit from, but you still have a ton of Java
coding to do. If they only advertised Java integration with no XML support,
there wouldn't be much difference.

Maybe I'm missing something. Any opinions?

thanks,

Bob DuCharme       www.snee.com/bob       <bob@
snee.com>  see www.snee.com/bob/xmlann for "XML:
The Annotated Specification" from Prentice Hall.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)