More chaos coming down the pike

Mike Spreitzer spreitze at parc.xerox.com
Mon Sep 13 19:21:14 BST 1999

Those two trains are proceding down their independent tracks.  Sun has
approved the "XML Data Binding" JSR; for more info, see the Java
Community Process web site at
<http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/index.html>.  The OMG
has issued the "XML/Value RFP"; for more information, see
<http://www.omg.org/techprocess/meetings/schedule/XML_Value_RFP.html>.
Neither explicitly requests coordination with the other.  The OMG folks
say that doesn't prevent a responder from making a coordinated response.

The recent barrage of mail about "the grove paradigm" make me even more
worried about coherency.  I haven't actually studied it yet, but the
mail makes me suspect "the grove paradigm" is a meta-model (or
meta-meta-model).  The OMG has their own modelling architecture,
centered around the MOF (Meta-Object Facility) and XMI (Xml Metadata
Interchange).  If the XmlSchema->JavaType mapping is grounded in groves,
and the XmlSchema->OmgIdl mapping is grounded in the MOF, getting
coherency after the fact may involve some very deep problems.

Mike

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)