More chaos coming down the pike

Michael Champion mike.champion at sagus.com
Mon Sep 13 21:49:23 BST 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Mike Spreitzer <spreitze at parc.xerox.com>
To: <xml-dev at ic.ac.uk>
Sent: Monday, September 13, 1999 1:23 PM
Subject: RE: More chaos coming down the pike

> Those two trains are proceding down their independent tracks.  Sun has
> approved the "XML Data Binding" JSR; for more info, see the Java
> Community Process web site at
> <http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/index.html>.  The OMG
> has issued the "XML/Value RFP"; for more information, see
> <http://www.omg.org/techprocess/meetings/schedule/XML_Value_RFP.html>.
> Neither explicitly requests coordination with the other.  The OMG folks
> say that doesn't prevent a responder from making a coordinated response.
>
> The recent barrage of mail about "the grove paradigm" make me even more
> worried about coherency.  I haven't actually studied it yet, but the
> mail makes me suspect "the grove paradigm" is a meta-model (or
> meta-meta-model).

The tracks may be independent, but there is much overlap of the people
riding on them and a reasonable amount of communication between the trains.

I'm personally torn between wanting to see all this rationalized and
centralized and wanting to make sure that the space of possible APIs for XML
is thoroughly explored before statis sets in.  I guess I'd lean toward the
later ... encourage innovation, let the marketplace of ideas sort out the
relative value of various ideas, let the various groups cross-fertilize each
other, and hope and pray that someone will come along later and rationalize
the whole mess.

Mike Champion

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)