enumeration and defaults

Stewart Rubenstein sdr at camsoft.com
Mon Sep 13 23:33:12 BST 1999

It's important to distinguish between empty-value and not-present.

Empty-value for enumerated types is simply not supported.  You have to use a
value like "none" or "unspecified" and use an extra layer of filtering if
your application requires the empty string for these cases internally.  I'd
like to be able to say
  <!ATTLIST foo ( a | b | c | ) "a"> <!-- default is "a", but "" is also
permitted -->
  <!ATTLIST bar ( a | b | c | ) "">  <!-- default is empty, not
not-present -->
but AFAIK I can't express this in a DTD.  I don't think it's what you were
asking.

However, not-present *is* supported as the default value, that's exactly
what #IMPLIED gets you.  Not-present is not supported as a non-default
value.

I don't know whether Tim was talking about empty-value support or
not-present as a non-default value.  I would find empty-value support
helpful in making my documents and processing more natural, but I can work
around that problem.  I don't see a need for not-present as a non-default
value, myself.

-Stew
CTO, CambridgeSoft Corp

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)