CNET on XHTML

Daniel Veillard Daniel.Veillard at w3.org
Wed Sep 15 11:11:42 BST 1999

On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 01:35:37PM -0700, Don Park wrote:
> The article was updated with Ann's comment added so it is more balanced now
> although the result is the same: there is trouble brewing for W3C.  Since I
> am fairly certain that W3C will ignore all the arguments and concerns raised
> against three namespaces, I believe the divide between W3C and XML-DEV will
> continue to widen.
>
> I wonder why the SOAP spec was submitted to IETF rather than W3C?  A new
> trend of sort?

  Don,

 you seem to have a hard time accepting the fact that W3C simply exists.
Having a serious debate on technical facts about a specification is useful
it occurs at various level within W3C, in the working groups, outside of
the group like in xml-dev, and basically this refinement process is the
best gard against flawed design. Taking into account public feedback is
part of our process, all public drafts have public, archived  mailing-lists
for that exact purpose, and the Working Group has to provide feedback
on points raised there. If they don't, they are at fault. I guess Ann
and other members of that working group did explain the reasons of
their technical decision.
 W3C staff didn't ignore the issues raised. Members of the Working Group
didn't either, and I guess a large number of people generally involved
in the XML activity took part ot the debate so the awareness is high
withing the W3C member organization. A specification which would get
fairly negative feedback from member won't get Recommendation status.
The feedback loop exists, and from what I see, it is active.

 Daniel

--
Daniel.Veillard at w3.org | W3C, INRIA Rhone-Alpes  | Today's Bookmarks :
Tel : +33 476 615 257  | 655, avenue de l'Europe | Linux, WWW, rpmfind,

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)