Another look at namespaces

Ann Navarro ann at webgeek.com
Thu Sep 16 18:43:09 BST 1999

At 09:16 AM 9/16/99 -0700, Walter Underwood wrote:
>At 04:41 PM 9/15/99 -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>>
>> [...] the HTML 4.0 spec defined three, and XHTML was required to be
>>as direct a mapping from HTML 4.0 to XML as possible.
>
>This is a rationale. Including this with the recent draft
>would have saved us all a lot of e-mail traffic.

This was said way back at the beginning (August 29)

http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/xml-dev-Aug-1999/0370.html

Quoting myself  "No, we've not confused them. We happen to have three
'flavors' of XHTML 1.0
(the first deliverable from the XHTML project, not the end sum of our
work), that essentially map to the three flavors of HTML 4.0."

But apparently nobody wanted to hear it.

Ann

---

Author of Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials
Coming in September --- Mastering XML

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes