Binary-encoding of XML for communication

Andrew Layman andrewl at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 17 00:37:46 BST 1999

Actually, much XML is transmitted in a binary form today, thanks to the LZ
compression built into modern modems.  As Joshua Smith observed, XML
compresses amazingly well (in my tests, many documents compress to between
five and ten percent of their original size).  And, as others have observed,
much value in XML comes from the fact that it is text-based.

Before investing in a non-textual equivalent of XML, I recommend carefully
looking at whether and where such a thing is actually needed.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)