RFC: Attributes and XML-RPC

Steven Livingstone, ITS, SENM steven.livingstone at scotent.co.uk
Wed Sep 22 15:31:55 BST 1999

>On the other hand, that redundant data ought to compress quite well using
>currently available technology.

I suppose that depends on whether you could bank on people to use the same
compression/decompression algorithms (if this is what you mean).
The advantange I see over XML right now is that it is just text - full stop.
Anyone can read it. Could we keep this guarantee w.r.t compression?

I agree there are places where we could save on redundancy - I suppose it
depends on what you need to do.

One thing mentioned on the XML-RPC web discussion is the ease by which an
attribute could be ignored by an implementation which didn't understand it -
not easily new_word> doable </new_word> using XML elements without effecting
the doc structure (maybe this has already been mentioned?).

Rgds,
Steven

Steven Livingstone - http://www.deltabiz.com
07771 957 280 or +447771957280

Author -
Professional Site Server 3, Wrox Press
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861002696
Professional Site Server 3.0 Commerce Edition, Wrox Press
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861002505

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)