XHTML and the Three Namespaces

Andrew Layman andrewl at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 23 20:43:30 BST 1999

Regarding DTDs and processing instructions, please see my earlier mails
where I discussed their drawbacks as a means to indicate language
distinctions in the context of multi-namespace documents and fragment
validation.

Please also remember that this thread has been a lengthy one(!), and if in
every mail I do not address in detail every argument that has been made in
favor of or against some viewpoint, it is not necessarily that I am unaware
of the argument, or choose to ignore it, but rather that I may have
summarized it or addressed it elsewheres, or judged it sufficiently
addressed by others.

Regarding David Brownell's statement, "It's my understanding that the
essence of the problem is in the assertion you made there, and throughout
your post:  that vocabulary and syntax and
namespace are one one thing, rather than at least two (vocabulary/namespace,
and separately syntax as today captured in DTD)"; I do not in fact make this
assertion.  What I said was "There is a vocabulary and syntax called
'Strict'. There is another called
'Transitional'..." I later stated that the solution proposed by the XHTML WG
was to distinguish these by use of namespaces.

I work to make my wording exact.  Please read my mails as though I actually
said what I meant.

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)