Grooves: why are "data" designed as properties and not nodes ?

Anders W. Tell anderst at toolsmiths.se
Mon Sep 27 11:48:36 BST 1999

Ken MacLeod wrote:

> I'm not seeing what you're seeing.  I don't see how a property is
> somehow seperate from the node that carries it, i.e. you retrieve data
> by accessing a field (property) of the node.  Properties don't exist
> seperately from their node (the _values_ can be retrieved and used
> seperately).

Im not sure I understand what you mean. In the variation of a Groove I put forward
the properties are directed relations between nodes, where some of the node are
"pure values" (integers etc).  So all properties are attached to individual nodes
(except "value nodes") and they dont exists separatly from the node.
Of course, now that the grove model is a "pure" graph model you can view it as such.

/Anders
--
/  Financial Toolsmiths AB  /

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)