XHTML and the Three Namespaces

Marc.McDonald at Design-Intelligence.com Marc.McDonald at Design-Intelligence.com
Mon Sep 27 23:50:18 BST 1999

> At 07:11 PM 9/24/99 -0700, Marc.McDonald at Design-Intelligence.com wrote:
>
> >	XML is supposed to be a content language, not a presentation
> >language. By introducing separate namespaces for the basic different
> >rendering models of XHTML you have made a presentation dependency.
>
> No one has asserted, and it is indeed incorrect to say that content model
> =
> presentation.
>
> Ann

I'm just noting that some of the differences between XHTML DTDs are
primarily presentation differences, for instance between transitional and
strict. HTML's model is one where, to some extent, presentation and content
are both in the document (for instance color and font specification).

I'm not saying anyone has said content=presentation, but that some
presentation expression has crept into content.

Marc B. McDonald
Principal Software Scientist

Design Intelligence, Inc.
1111 Third Avenue, Suite 1500