CDATA problem

John Evdemon John_Evdemon at freddiemac.com
Thu Sep 30 20:01:50 BST 1999

Hello all,

I have recently run into a problem using CDATA.  Apparently there is a
restricted range of data that can be included within a CDATA section.

I have some data from a UNIX system that contains a control character (#x1A).
This control character cannot be inserted into a CDATA section because it is
outside the range of legal values.  According to the ASCII chart, #x1A is SUB.
Unfortuneatly some of this data is coming from a non-ASCII (e.g. EBCDIC)
platform.

According to the W3C recommendation, the only characters permitted within a
CDATA section are:
     #x9 | #xA | #xD | [#x20-#xD7FF] | [#xE000-#xFFFD] | [#x10000-#x10FFFF]

Any ideas on how else I could embed this data in an XML document?

Tim Bray's annotated XML reference (http://www.xml.com/axml/axml.html), mentions
using Notation Attributes but doesn't provide an example.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!