New version of the Table of contents document

Eric van der Vlist vdv at dyomedea.com
Wed Feb 2 17:28:33 GMT 2000

Didier,

Here is a snippet of the site map from one of the sites I have recently
built :

--------------------
<page
  name="ttc"
  source="ttc.xml"
  robots="INDEX,FOLLOW"
  path="tarif/"
  icon=""
  line="2"

  <language name="french"
    title="AAE / Maison de la détection : Tarif TTC"
    short_title="Tarif TTC"
    description="../.."
    keywords="../.."
  />
  <language name="english"
    title="AAE / Maison de la détection : Price list (VAT included)"
    short_title="Price list VAT included"
    description="../.."
    keywords="../.."
    />
</page>
--------------------

With this information, I can use in my xml source files (transformed
through XSLT) logical links like :

<link page="cz5" src="/images/cz5.jpg" width="300" height="223"/>

where page is the attribute specifying the logical name and the language
is, by default, the "current" language.

These links are transformed into HTML links to the physical page having
the specified name for the current language.

For my new sites, I'd like to do the same kind of features using less
proprietary structures.

Using your TOC pattern, it could be something like :

<topic name="food" lang="en" xlink:title="Road runner food"
	xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="Product/food.html"/`>
<topic name="food" lang="fr" xlink:title="L'alimentation de road runner"
	xlink:type="simple" xlink:href="Produits/alimentation.html"/`>

This would allow to define, using a namespace to define, something like
:

<link ref="food"> which would generate the link for the current language
or <link ref="food" lang="fr"> which would force the language to
english.

I hope this is clearer (and in the scope of TOC pattern ;)

Thanks

Eric

BTW: Is there any additional resources about XLINK to help understanding
the specification ?