Request for Discussion: SAX 1.0 in C++

Steinar Bang sb at metis.no
Tue Jan 4 07:40:14 GMT 2000

>>> For those folks who need to store text, they can certainly strip off
>>> unwanted bytes before storing it. It is much more reasonable to
>>> require transcoding of people storing text than to require everyone
>>> using the data on the fly to transcode.

>> Using data on the fly is what I want to do.  That's why I prefer to
>> get it in the form I will use it.

> For most people though, UTF-8 is a loser.

Please note that in the quoted text, I was talking about converting
from UTF-16 stored in 32 bit wchar_t, to UTF-16 stored in 16 bit wide
character strings.

I was worried about the overhead of using 32 bit for 16 bit values,
and I was worried about the conversion overhead from 32 bit to 16 bit
strings.

Nothing about UTF-8 at all.