Help needed with the XPointer spec

Robert Hanson rhanson at blast.net
Tue Jan 4 23:04:21 GMT 2000

I ran across a definition in the XPointer spec which seems a little odd to
me...

<definition term="character-point">
[Definition:] When the container node of a point is of a node type that cannot
have child nodes, then the index is an index into the characters of the
string-value of the node; such a point is called a character-point.
</definition>

And before this it states the definition of a "node-point".  But my question
is, if a node-point is "When the container node of a point is of a node type
that can have child nodes", and a character-point is "When the container node
of a point is of a node type that cannot have child nodes", then what about
characters in a node that CAN have child nodes?  It seems that by definition
that this is not defined.

Am I just being to picky about the given definition?

...And could someone give me an example of an XPointer that would fall after
the "H" in this XML instance below?  And another which would fall after the
first "bar" element, and before the second?

<foo>
</foo>

Thanks,
  Robert