To Oracle or NOT to Oracle

Alan Santos asantos at odi.com
Wed Jan 5 16:06:38 GMT 2000

Hi Pete,

I would be a very poor Object Design employee if I didn't mention that you
should at least look at Object Design's Excelon.

http://www.objectdesign.com/excelon/main.htm

It's very inexpensive compared to Oracle (although I don't know what kind of
price cuts they've just made), and very fast.

>         I thought that it might be a big help to me if I could get a
"complete"set of XML tools with step by step instructions to walk me through
some examples of using XML from start to finish

Excelon is a complete environment, from an editing tool to a queryable data
repository. There is also an on line tutorial available, and it's very easy
to use.

> "Bluestones" Visual XML, and where that is a nice looking bit of fluff
with a great Java interface, it seems to require too much proprietary
software (mainly it's bluestone server) for me to use comfortably,

Excelon has Java, c++, COM, Corba and http interfaces available.  (EJB
support will be here soon)
However, it does use ObjectStore, an ODBMS, but objectstore is transparent
to the developer, and you code to standards, not the proprietary software.
(Although, ObjectStore supports ODMG standards)

Remember, I am an employee of Object Design, so be skeptical of my claims,
but please download the product for free and check it out yourself.

Alan Santos
Senior Applications Engineer
Object Design, Inc