To Oracle or NOT to Oracle

Steve Muench smuench at us.oracle.com
Wed Jan 5 17:09:52 GMT 2000

I'm familiar with lots of web servers and servlet
engines, but not specifically the NES. If it can
be used together with a Servlet Engine, then
you're in business for getting it to talk seamlessly
with Oracle.

If you want to do your XML processing *inside*
the database running in the same memory address
space where your data lives, then Oracle8i
let's you do this in *either* Java or PL/SQL
or C or C++ with strongly W3C-standards compliant
versions of engines for working with XML, DOM,
XPath and XSLT, not to mention the bi-directional
link between richly structured Object/Relational
datatypes and XML as well as XML document searching.

Our offering to help users like yourself who may
be familiar with SQL and want to put SQL to work
with XML and XSLT to do some amazing things is
called the XSQL Servlet. This provides a framework
for declaratively tying the SQL, XML, and XSLT
worlds together in a straightforward way by
building "XSQL Pages" that are XML templates with
tags like <xsql:query> that let you assemble
a "datapage" of active XML-based content
from the database and elsewhere and then use
XSLT to transform it into a format that's
appropriate to the requester over the web.
It comes with lots of demos and a good tutorial
to get started.

Keep an eye out for the 0.9.8.6 release of
the XSQL Servlet due to be available on our
Oracle Technet website at
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml in the
next few days. It contains tons of new
functionality over the 0.9.6.2 release
that's there now.

Drop in to the XML Discussion Forum
on the technet website if you have specific
Oracle and XML questions we can help you with...

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Development Team
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/java
http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml