Mixed-content use-cases and questions

Clark C. Evans clark.evans at manhattanproject.com
Wed Jan 12 03:57:52 GMT 2000

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Tim Bray wrote:
> >1.  Are there any use cases besides HTML
> >    for mixed content?
>
> Virtually every document- or publishing-oriented
> application in the world.

Let me re-phrase this.  Are there examples of mixed-model
use-cases, where one DTD does not have mixed-content,
and a subordinate/contained DTD (ANY) does use mixed-content.

For example, often times people put HTML inside eCommerce
"description" fields, texts which are otherwise free of
mixed content. (Hence the modular  XHTML effort)

Anyway, I feel stupid for not phrasing the question
correctly... I even did some SGML publishing work
3 years back using Omnimark.  So sorry.

> >2.  For modular XHTML, could a <xhtml:plain>
> >    element be included that eliminates
> >    the need for mixed-content?
>
> Sure.  Why would this be better? -Tim

Well, the proposal is, in-essence, what the DOM model
of XML does for all content -- however,  given that XHTML
will most likely be machine generated anyway; this
little tweak would allow a non-mixed content API to
be useable for eCommerce work.  Moving XHTML into
the "special case" category.

So, I guess I was really trying to ask:

1.  How common is mixed model XML usage, where
    a mixed-content DTD is used as a subordinate
    document to a non-mixed-content model.

2.  Would it make sense to allow include
    <xhtml:plain> as a no-op for cases where
    xhtml mixed-content is included in eCommerce
    non-mixed content.

Clark

Also, about
So.  I was wondering if XHTML should be

This is in-essence what the DOM model does for all content, and it makes
it
hard for strict non-mixed use cases.

So, I was wondering if XHTML should
not assume mixed-content