String interning (WAS: SAX2/Java: Towards a final form)

Clark C. Evans clark.evans at manhattanproject.com
Sun Jan 16 01:17:27 GMT 2000

On 15 Jan 2000, David Megginson wrote:
> Tim Bray <tbray at textuality.com> writes:
> > At 12:13 PM 1/14/00 -0800, David Brownell wrote:
> > >The reason not to mandate it is that there are non-parser
> > >applictions of SAX, where it's unreasonable to demand that
> > >the event source guarantee such interning.
> >
> > Really?  Could you expand on that?
>
> I'm willing to listen for a couple more days before flipping a coin.

Could we tag the "name-postfix/name-prefix/name-space" as
a InternString or other class to make the requirement explicit?
InternString could have *private* constructor, and a static
factory method to ensure that the policy is enforced.  Too bad
String is final. Is there another singular point of control
that can be seized  upon to shield application-emitters?
Perhaps a QName object?