Microsoft's responce to XML.com article

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Mon Jan 17 00:30:02 GMT 2000

Lee Anne Phillips <leeanne at leeanne.com> writes:

> With all respect, I think the lack of resources are the fault of the
> W3C membership policies, which seem designed to strongly discourage
> individuals and small organizations and businesses from
> participating in the process.  US$5000 for an Affiliate Membership
> is beyond the reach of most of us and of many small businesses since
> that's in addition to the value of the time spent on the process
> itself.

Actually, the W3C XML Activity actively recruits invited experts who
do not work for member companies, including Tim Bray, the person
you're replying to, though I agree that's not the same as a real open
process.

That said, I think the biggest problem for small companies isn't the
$5K/year membership fee (though that's bad enough) but the
$50K-$100K++/year of lost work time and travel costs even just to
allow one competent engineer to participate.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/