Microsoft's responce to XML.com article

Lee Anne Phillips leeanne at leeanne.com
Mon Jan 17 08:05:21 GMT 2000

I'm well aware that Tim Bray is not the problem and indeed is part of at
least one possible solution in another area. His words occasioned the
thought rather than being something I felt I should reply to as in
disagreeing with his words. Quite the contrary, I agree completely with
what he said.

They *are* starved for resources, but they're starved because the glacial
process serves corporate sponsors well at the expense of the community.

I've been on standards bodies in other fields, and the level of actual
participation was sometimes laughable. Although my company was quite
willing to send me off to the meetings, at huge expense, once I got home
the party was over and it was back to work on corporate business. If I
managed to do a little work on standards body business over my lunch hour,
that was fine by them but no one really cared as long as we could say that
we were *involved*.

What you say is true, it's an enormous commitment of time and money when
viewed from our small company viewpoints, but full membership means your
company grosses fifty million dollars a year or more. A few hundreds of
thousands of dollars in overhead is chicken feed to a company of the size
that most full members are. It's well worth the cost to make sure that your
viewpoint is taken into account on the topics that matter to you. It's
probably worth the cost just to have the opportunity to delay developments
one doesn't like as well.