Alternatives to browsers (was Re: Alternatives to the W3C)

Miles Sabin msabin at cromwellmedia.co.uk
Tue Jan 18 15:57:40 GMT 2000

David Hunter wrote,
> As am I.  And it's exactly the combination of XML and HTTP
> which, to me, makes the browser unnecessary in many
> situations.  If I can just put some kind of application on the
> client, whether it be written in Java, or Visual Basic, or
> C++, and have that application communicate with my servers via
> XML and HTTP, I get all of the benefits of using the Internet
> (or an Intranet or an Extranet, or any of the other names I
> can't keep up with), PLUS, I get all of the advantages of
> splitting my processing intelligently between server and
> client.

I'm having trouble seeing why XML over HTTP is preferable to
eg. CORBA or Java RMI (maybe tunneled through HTTP if there's
a need to traverse firewalls) for application specific comms.
How is application specific markup better than an application
specific binary wire protocol?

Cheers,

Miles

--
Miles Sabin                       Cromwell Media
Internet Systems Architect        5/6 Glenthorne Mews