Alternatives to browsers (was Re: Alternatives to the W3C)

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Tue Jan 18 18:06:25 GMT 2000

Hunter, David wrote:

>  But in
> other cases, it is a beautiful concept, such as the aforementioned
> RealNetworks example, or even something like ICQ.  I assume neither of these
> use XML to communicate data, but there will be other similar apps coming
> down the pipe.

Consider that new appliances will be bundling software in semi-closed
boxes.  Downloads may not be as frequent because the stability of
the appliance and the content it processes becomes more important than
the momentum of evolving systems.  IOW, no one can afford the content if
it doesn't stabilize.  This is particularly true as it gets more
expensive to create.  Lifecycle costs and basic logistics are the
dominating forces emerging.  Innovation slows down as costs rise.

Still, yes, these apps are coming down the pipe.  Consider the
3D theatre and gaming applications for distributed use where several
standards for XML application languages have to be adopted to ensure
that the behaviors of the H-anim characters and the messages sent
to them, the environmental descriptions, etc., can all be XML
apps.  This is an example where the use of XHTML can be almost zero.

Get Beyond The Book Metaphor.  A page is just a page.  A stage is
a different container.  Powerful stuff.

len