XML & Databases

Steve Muench smuench at us.oracle.com
Tue Jan 18 18:04:25 GMT 2000

Have a look at the "Airport Code Validation" at:

http://technet.oracle.com/tech/xml/demo/demo1.htm

This works with an IE5 browser to show how a client
HTML page can use a server-side XML Data "Service"
(in this example, provided server-side by an Oracle
XSQL-Page with a query over an AIRPORTS table
containing all the known world airports) to
help the user do data-entry.

In this demo, if the three-letter code you type in
matches one in the database, it fills in the info
that it gets back in the XML Datagram from the server.

If the code you type in (e.g. "VENI") does not
exactly match a 3-letter code, it falls back and
does a fuzzy-match query in the server and
returns an XML datagram with a list of potential
airports matching the name ("Venice, Italy", etc.)
which the DHTML page uses to build up a dynamic
poplist for the user to pick from.

have fun.

Steve Muench, Consulting Product Manager & XML Evangelist
Business Components for Java Development Team