Alternatives to the W3C

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Wed Jan 19 20:30:13 GMT 2000

OK, here's the deal. I'm a web developer who uses desktop computers to
create for the web. That's all I care about as far as software is concerned.
I spend half my day using apps other than a web browser. My interest is in
making those apps work as seamlessly with the web as possible. In practice
that means reducing the steps to get my job done. That's why editing in the
web browser is so satisfying. See a mistake on a web page, click Edit This
Page, make the correction, click on Submit. It can't get any simpler than
that. This algorithm repeats in every context. It's just like Undo was in
the early days of graphic apps. The next step is to wire in Notepad,
Simpletext and Emacs, but the next step after that is to bring the web
browser into the text editing tools to erase the last seam. Microsoft was
barking up the right tree, not too many people get this yet. Even on
Scripting News where I've been writing about it for two years, people still
think HTML rendering is a thing separate from using a computer. To ignore
the web browser is to ignore where most of the creativity and intellect are
going these days. That's the other reason I do the web. Without a web
browser there are no web sites. Sorry for rambling, hope this makes sense to
someone out there. Dave