Alternatives to the W3C

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Wed Jan 19 20:56:49 GMT 2000

More thoughts along these lines. I read Elliotte Harold's quotes from 1999,
and took note of the quote that said that Microsoft and Netscape got
together and decided that HTML had evolved as far as it could. I sighed
deeeeeeply on hearing that. There are still some quick-hit tags missing in
HTML, like <include>, that would zoom the web to the next level. We know
about the JavaScript hack, a <script> object that returns a writeln
statement that writes the HTML you want to include, but this doesn't work
properly in all browsers (same old story). HTML has not reached the end of
its useful life, quite the opposite, last year we figured a lot of things
out, I see no slowdown this year. Also check out Weblogs.Com, HTML from top
to bottom. Not bad for something that has no evolution left in it. ;-> Dave