Alternatives to the W3C

Steven Livingstone s.livingstone at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 19 22:58:15 GMT 2000

> #1 doesn't make sense to me, since half the messages on the Web
development
> mailing lists I get are about cross-platform Web developmet - IE/NS/Opera,
> Mac/PC/Unix, etc. Are you just talking about the poor sods who are forced
> to exist (some choose to exist) in Windows-only environments and develop
> for Intranets?

I think we are forced to do this for two reasons:

1. The users want a interface like "the one we had before" which typically
means a client/server based application. Netscape (and no doubt Opera) are
*very* unusable in this context, although you can get Netscape to do a bit
of what you want after a lot of coding. IE just does it and allows us to use
XML, so I don't know if such users would be so poor - indeed achieving the
benefits offered by XML woudl imply the exact opposite to me. !? I have been
able to break all of my applications into complely seperate layers from XML
to COM and it's great ! I can even make it look and work liek a windows
app - the business wants this and they pay for the systems.

2. No-one else seems interested in the fact that app dev is moving this way.
I have been told that the next version of Netscape won't offer support for
XML and XSL - at least that is hte case for the current test version.

SOAP/XMLRPC enables different platforms and languages to talk to each other,
but that's as far as we've got so far.

Cheers
Steven

Steven Livingstone
Glasgow, Scotland.
+44 (0) 7771 957 280

Professional XML
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861003110
Professional Site Server 3
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861002696
Professional Site Server 3.0 Commerce Edition
http://www.wrox.com/Consumer/Store/Details.asp?ISBN=1861002505