Alternatives to the W3C

Gabe Beged-Dov begeddov at jfinity.com
Thu Jan 20 17:04:27 GMT 2000

"Steven Livingstone, ITS, SENM" wrote:

> <quote>
> In our case, the front-end clearly *is* critical - what they want
> (window-like in MS windows or X-Windows interfaces like they had in
> client-server) can only be done using the latest technologies.
> </quote>

There are many existence proofs of doing WIMPy UI using
4.X browsers. Check out halfbrain.com, websentric.com,
desktop.com, etc... It isn't pretty (for the developer)
but you don't need IE5. The example that Dave Winer
pointed to (see http://irights.editthispage.com/) could
have been done for both NN4 and IE4 but its certainly
easier to do in IE4.

Cordially from Corvallis,

Gabe Beged-Dov
http://www.jfinity.com/gabe