Alternatives to the W3C

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Fri Jan 21 15:46:42 GMT 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Dave Winer wrote:
> So much heat!
>
> Is it passion or fear?

It's fear that the willfully ignorant attitudes you express may in fact be
indicative of the beliefs of others.

> Here's the truth, as best as I can express it.
>
> There are lots of different webs.

No. There is one Web.

> WAP phones, Lynx, Geocities, Homestead, Linux, SlashDot, XML, eBay, WebTV,
> AOL, News.Com, NYTimes.Com, Vignette, PornCity, PHP, Wiki, Zope, Mozilla,
> Manila, and on and on.

All of them use HTTP (a W3C standard), HTML (a W3C standard), MIME (an IETF
standard), ASCII, GIF, JPEG, URIs and URLs (IETF standard), etc. That makes
them all part of one Web. The World Wide Web.

> Apples and oranges, but each one says the web is something different.

No, each expresses their piece in different ways, using the technologies
that go to form the one Web. You're saying that there are many different
ideas of publishing based on the fact that there exists more than one book.
We finally have a way to share information among all the Net-connected
people of the world, thanks to some highly commodified standards, and your
reaction is "let's turn it back into a proprietary system, that's what's
happening anyway" and "let's exclude everybody!"

It's sad, really. Pathetic and sad. And, because you should know better,
it's raising people's ire.

Steve