R: interesting data point on preferred computers/browser types

Ann Navarro ann at webgeek.com
Fri Jan 21 19:30:44 GMT 2000

At 07:12 PM 1/21/00 +0100, Stefano Debenedetti wrote:

>I beg your pardon but I still don't understand what the point was....:-o
>Could you please explain me what Mr. Charles McCathieNevile meant about
>industry perception on accessibility?

There is a perception in some portions of the industry, as displayed on
this list, that only people with significant deficits of one form or
another -- those that are too 'poor' to upgrade a system, are disabled, or
confined to university dumb terminals, or whatever -- that only those
people are the ones that don't use the latest and greatest systems.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that the not only DO people outside of those
demographics use less than the latest system/browser, but that many do it
by choice (the highly debatable "that's just because vt100 terminals are
next to the window" or not).

Bottom line point: assumptions about users needs/desires based on the
developer or industry's own habits is almost always a bad viewpoint.

Ann
---
Just Released! - HTML BY Example
Now shipping -  Mastering XML
Also in print:  Effective Web Design: Master the Essentials

Founder, WebGeek Communications            http://www.webgeek.com
Vice President-Finance, HTML Writers Guild http://www.hwg.org
Director, HWG Online Education             http://www.hwg.org/services/classes