Geoworks and their patent

David Megginson david at megginson.com
Mon Jan 24 01:29:42 GMT 2000

"Dave Winer" <dave at userland.com> writes:

> Haven't seen this discussed here.
>
> http://www.thestandard.com/article/display/0,1151,9021,00.html
>
> WAP is based on XML. A hot standard if there every was one. But there seems
> to be a bug in the system. How will the Internet route around killer
> patents?

There's not much we can do up here in Canada -- as far as I know, most
countries don't allow software patents; however, the U.S. does, and
it's too big a market for the rest of the world to ignore.

The American readers of this list have a big election coming up, and
they have candidates from both parties trying to get support from the
tech industry.  Make software patents an issue now, when you have the
chance, and do the rest of us a big favour.

All the best,

David

David Megginson                 david at megginson.com
           http://www.megginson.com/