Alternatives to the W3C (was Re: Alternatives to the W3C)

Robert Hanson rhanson at blast.net
Mon Jan 24 15:02:02 GMT 2000

Wow, I don't know if I can disagree enough with that.  What if the goal isn't
to support XML in the browser, but instead is used for indexing, and other
back-end tasks?  And what if this same information is also accessible through
a browser with CSS?

For instance, we have in in-house knowledge base.  This knowledge base
contains information that needs to be searchable by perhaps a part number.
Parts of this knowledge base also include manuals that are intended for
distribution as printed material (using XSLT).  Other parts are indexes
generated by a back end application which does use DOM.  And besides that, the
support technician needs access to this information... so with XML and CSS in
the browser, I am all set.  Why do I need DOM support in my browser for to do
all of this?

I am not disagreeing that DOM support will be needed in the browser for lots
of applications, but I disagree that there is no point to supporting XML
without DOM.

Robert