Further work on Xlink

Peter Murray-Rust peter at ursus.demon.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 17:50:24 GMT 2000

At 06:40 AM 1/24/00 -0500, Didier PH Martin wrote:

[.. call for discussion on Xlink ...]

I am pleased to see a discussion of Xlink resurfacing on XML-DEV. Xlink was
in fact meant to be the second in the family of XML protocols (before
XML-style == "XSL"). There have been previous discussions and I, for one,
found EliotK's
postings(http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/9705/0098.htm and
thereabouts) extremely useful.

Xlink has taken the community longer than was anticipated, and I think it
will be very valuable to have implementations. Eliot points out that Xlink
can serve more than one function (and I think the discussion of hierarchy
confirms this - some people use links for structure and others for
traversal.) This makes generic implementations difficult. However I think
we are all extremely grateful to the authors of tools for implementing SAX,
XSL, DOM, XMLSchemas and so forth because they allow many of use to really
understand and start using these specifications in a communal way. Does
this seem possible with Xlink?

	P.