Querying the DOM using XPath

Barnowsky, Greg T. greg.t.barnowsky at unisys.com
Tue Jan 25 21:54:32 GMT 2000

Sorry for the poorly worded question.  Let's see if this is a little better.

   If I am currently parsing through a well-formed and validated XML
document based on prior knowledge of it's schema using
   the Microsoft MSXML Component Model API and my favorite prog. language,
what does the support of XPath provide me?
   For example, does it allow me to abstract parsing logic from code?  Is it
much faster than using the component API?

   I am currently processing the XML Document with no intentions to display
the information.  That is, this processing is
   oriented to backoffice B2B operations, e.g. mappings, translations,
auditing, etc. not presentation on a Web Page.

Maybe I just have missed something in the spec, or am not familiar with the
quirks of XML to see if XPath for me provides any
benefit.

Hope this clears it up.

Regards
Greg Barnowsky