Getting "<" and "&" sign in the HTML document

DuCharme, Robert DuCharmR at moodys.com
Thu Jan 27 16:04:00 GMT 2000

>I have written an XSL which converts an XML document to HTML.
>The problem I am facing is, I am trying to send "&nbsp;"(HTML blank space)
>and "<"  to my HTML doc, but the parser intreprets this and sends
>the blank space as "&#38;nbsp;" and the "<" sign as "&#60;"

Use &lt; for < and &nbsp; for the HTML blank. You don't need to declare <,
because it's one of the five character entities that all XML processors are
already supposed to understand, but you do need to declare nbsp, so begin
your XSL stylesheet like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE stylesheet [
<!ENTITY nbsp "&#x00A0;">
]>

Bob DuCharme       www.snee.com/bob       <bob@
snee.com>  see www.snee.com/bob/xmlann for "XML:
The Annotated Specification" from Prentice Hall.