Orgcharts

Betty Harvey harvey at eccnet.eccnet.com
Tue Oct 27 20:16:27 GMT 1998

Take a look at a http://www.infosphere-inc.com/topaz/.  Mark Roberts,
Infosphere, has developed a program that can generate graphics in SGML,
as well as import all versions of CGM (I-IV) to SGML.  They have a JAVA
plug-in for Netscape that renders the graphics and makes them interactive.

Mark came to the Washington Area SGML Users Group meeting last week
and demonstrated the Beta version of the product they are calling
Topaz.  It is really pretty cool and I see a lot of applications
for it especially in the IETM area.

The difference between what they are doing and what VML is doing is the
graphic primitives are in elements rather than attributes and provide
a lot more intelligence.  He is working on creating a filter from the
SGML graphic to VRML.

The cool thing is that this is useful from Orgcharts all the way to
complex 3D graphics.  Schematics have always been a real problem in
on-line presentation - this provides some interesting options for
schematics and schematic type flowcharts.

Betty

Betty Harvey                           | Phone: 301-540-8251 FAX: 4268
Electronic Commerce Connection, Inc.   |
13017 Wisteria Drive, P.O. Box 333     |
Germantown, Md.  20874                 |
harvey at eccnet.eccnet.com               | Washington,DC SGML Users Grp

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)