About template. part 2

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Sun Nov 21 01:28:58 GMT 1999

Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Can we envision an XML document with a
> structure varying in time? We may have to if we want to create "data flow"
> systems to model business processes (i.e. workflows).

Sure.  Think at the level of a single element type and it's immediate
tree fully expanded (no entities).  One issue that seriously impeded
acceptance of SGML application languages was that they became hideously
complex.  Break the schema/DTD whatever, up into the smallest portions
practical and think of aggregates of much smaller namespaces; put these
together can considering them coordinate subsets that can be combined
by intersections of shared types.  Write DTDs dynamically to reflect
process and DFD interaction.

I agree with Eliot and David about the lack of follow through on systems
engineering using SGML or XML.   There is not much change in the
practice; just the representation.  Most systems engineering
methodologies
resolve to relational schemas (E-R).  W need a methodology that
resolves to a multidimensional database where aggregate element types
can represent dimensions and cells.  Then, time is just one of the
dimensions of that description, and nicely, the one that is most
stable because its hierarchy is clean.

len