SGML, XML and SML

James Robertson jamesr at steptwo.com.au
Sun Nov 21 02:12:34 GMT 1999

At 04:32 21/11/1999 , Julian Reschke wrote:

> > Sean McGrath <digitome at iol.ie> writes:
> >
> > > Any SML doc is an XML doc but not the other way around.
> > >
> > >     SML < XML < SGML
> >
> > That gets you into the subset dilemma: all conformant XML processors
> > will be able to handle SML, but not all conformant SML processors will
> > be able to handle XML.
>
>Why would that be a dilemma? That was exactly the goal, correct?
>
>I really think it would be A Good Thing to have a common name for XML minus
>a list of features...

I think the point is:

If something is XML, it handles all valid XML
documents.

Or it doesn't, and it isn't.

If SML cannot support all XML constructs, it
isn't XML. In the same way that XML is not SGML.

That's not to say that SML may not have
value in itself. It's just that a number of
posters have been more than a little lax in
their use of "XML" in regards SML.

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
SGML, XML & HTML Consultancy
Illumination: an out-of-the-box Intranet solution

http://www.steptwo.com.au/
jamesr at steptwo.com.au