XHTML & Schemas

Hunter, David dhunter at Mobility.com
Fri Sep 3 16:40:35 BST 1999

No, I'm saying that the different flavours of XHTML are
application-specific, not language-specific.  (That is, there should be
*one* XHTML *language*, even though *XHTML applications* may recognize
different flavours of that language.)  One language = one schema [= one
DTD].

This is why I keep saying there should [eventually] be one XHTML namespace,
to identify that "this is XHTML".  Then that XHTML should be passed on to an
XHTML application, for processing; since that application is really the only
application that would even care if this is loose, strict, or frameset
XHTML, a processing instruction is good enough to let it know.  If the XHTML
*isn't* going to be passed on to the XHTML application, then nobody really
cares if it is strict or loose or frameset.

(e.g., If a search engine is going to be searching XHTML pages it isn't
going to be processing the XHTML for display, but it doesn't really care if
those pages are in one flavour or the other anyway.  It just wants to be
able to find the XHTML.)

List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa at ic.ac.uk)