ATTN: Please comment on XHTML (before it's too late)

Simon St.Laurent simonstl at simonstl.com
Thu Sep 9 17:55:54 BST 1999

At 07:36 AM 10/9/99 -0700, Paul Prescod wrote:
>roddey at us.ibm.com wrote:
>>
>> >Adding three lines of code introduces the opportunity for three times
>> >the bugs in a real application? I don't buy it. Looking for "HTML 4.0
>> >strict" OR "HTML 4.0 frameset" is no harder than looking for "UL" OR
>> >"OL", if the software is set up right.
>
>> I think its more complex than that. Its more than adding 3 lines of
code. What
>> if you want to validate the XHTML?
>
>I can validate all three variants of XHTML using parsers that are three
>years old already!!!! Download the DTD, download nsgmls or IE5 and try
>it yourself!

If all you care about is the prefixes, of course you can.  If you actually
want the URIs, it's a lot more complicated, as we've been discussing for
the last few days.

(Unless, of course, nsgmls was built with the discussions we've had in the
last week regarding namespaces and validation in mind, which would involve
a remarkable amount of foresight.)

Now returning to my usual program of Central New York AM radio,
Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer (2nd Ed - September)
Building XML Applications
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies