W3C's 'Moral Majesty'

Len Bullard cbullard at hiwaay.net
Sun Sep 12 20:55:34 BST 1999

Ann Navarro wrote:

> Len, I don't claim "moral majesty", nor do I carry any pretenses about it.

It is the organization.  The moral majesty of an individual should
correspond to their role. The actions of the organization are in the
hands of the
members.

> Nor, however, will I unilaterally decide to make public issues that have
> not been put into our documents. It is not my place. It is unreasonable to
> demand it of me.

You cannot, in effect, break the contract to which you or your
organization have signed.  You can as an individual undertake to change
the
conditions of that contract if they are injuring the community.  That is
not
unreasonable but you decide if that is your place.

> Then go lend your efforts to ISO and IETF and have fun, Len.

A nice kiss-off and perhaps deserved.  What I have done and do
are not within your purview.  I do consider it prudent to answer
misleading statements about the work, processes and achievements
of the men and women I worked with in ISO on occasion.  Those
achievements and those individuals built the foundations on
which the W3C work in markup stands.

You have not done this.  Do you consider it something that
can be overlooked?

> Nobody's holding you hostage.

Quite right.

len