Alternatives to the W3C

Dave Winer dave at userland.com
Wed Jan 19 21:40:15 GMT 2000

>>It makes sense.  We aren't quibbling that a web browser of some kind is
needed, but is it TheWebBrowser (ie, the XHTML centric one), or just a
content handler that knows HTTP and has an API for scripting?

We've had this discussion at length on my site, and reached a conclusion.
There are two types of developers in the world:

1. Web developers, who must look at the content exactly as their users look
at it. For these people, today, that's MSIE 5.x on Windows, not any content
handler, that specific one.

2. Everyone else.

I could try to explain why this is so, but previous debates make me
reluctant to try, so I won't. Think of it this way. You and I are developing
for different platforms. You like what you do, I like what I do. Life is
great.

Dave